- RSS Channel Showcase 8770520
- RSS Channel Showcase 2937900
- RSS Channel Showcase 1496533
- RSS Channel Showcase 6763174
Articles on this Page
- 06/20/11--02:21: _French fare for tim...
- 06/28/11--02:22: _Centenarian Margot ...
- 07/04/11--22:07: _Front Door heralds ...
- 07/06/11--02:12: _Vive la France en A...
- 07/06/11--03:36: _Academic spells out...
- 07/07/11--21:23: _A Fitting Birthday ...
- 07/08/11--00:39: _“The Kids” vote the...
- 07/08/11--01:05: _Flowers at the Inte...
- 07/08/11--02:03: _Fromages for Olivier
- 07/11/11--19:26: _John Herbig’s harro...
- 08/05/11--21:12: _Philipa’s Dream Wed...
- 08/23/11--04:21: _Suzanne shines at h...
- 08/23/11--15:46: _Family bearing food...
- 08/23/11--15:50: _Gracious hosts, glo...
- 08/24/11--17:17: _Sweet Peas, Pearls,...
- 08/25/11--17:54: _Frilly flower symbo...
- 08/25/11--22:05: _Moving Home
- 08/28/11--22:04: _Mosque and Cathedra...
- 08/29/11--03:35: _Red Dog – a box off...
- 06/20/11--02:21: French fare for time-poor cooks
- 06/28/11--02:22: Centenarian Margot Bates a winner in pool and living well
- 07/04/11--22:07: Front Door heralds lock-up stage
- 07/06/11--02:12: Vive la France en Australie du Sud
- 07/06/11--03:36: Academic spells out Discourse Analysis for Judges
- 07/07/11--21:23: A Fitting Birthday Feast for a French-born Fellow
- 07/08/11--00:39: “The Kids” vote the “old fella” into fame
- 07/08/11--01:05: Flowers at the Intercontinental Hotel
- 07/08/11--02:03: Fromages for Olivier
- 07/11/11--19:26: John Herbig’s harrowing China story
- 08/05/11--21:12: Philipa’s Dream Wedding in Tonga
- 08/23/11--04:21: Suzanne shines at her first art show
- 08/23/11--15:46: Family bearing food creates fun times
- 08/23/11--15:50: Gracious hosts, glorious food & Grange:
- 08/24/11--17:17: Sweet Peas, Pearls, Stories and Style
- 08/25/11--17:54: Frilly flower symbolises hope for cancer cure
- 08/25/11--22:05: Moving Home
- 08/28/11--22:04: Mosque and Cathedral create Spanish Masterpiece
- 08/29/11--03:35: Red Dog – a box office star
Pumpkin soup has never tasted so good with a touch of t urnip, thanks to the great French chef, Auguste Escoffier. The recipe book 2000 Favourite French Recipes was his final gift to French housewives and is translated in English. First published as Ma Cuisine in 1965, ingredients are given in pounds and ounces, which […]
Real men do eat steak if the gender imbalance in Buenos Aires Brasserie this week is any indicator. There were 20 men to just 6 women diners tucking into an array of steak and whole baby goat legs, the restaurant’s main claim to fame. However, one of those six women sat alone in a wheelchair […]
The magnificent front door of our house was installed this week heralding lock-up stage. It ‘s an ornate Western Red Cedar door with leadlight panels and a side panel, which may beg the question why choose such a traditional design for a home which is obviously contemporary in style? We found the door in an […]
Guests dressed in 18th century French Revolution fashion will feast of an array of classic dishes prepared by InterContinental Hotel’s sous chef, French-born Frederick Boussard at the Bastille Day Gala Dinner on July 14. Frederick has selected a mix of seafood including Tasmanian salmon and South Australian smoked Huon salmon to create one of seven […]
South Australian communications academic and author, Dr Pamela Schulz, has told a top conference of Australasian judges that the media and politics have “conspired’’ to marginalise them. The opening key speaker of the 21st Bi-annual National District and County Courts Judges Conference held in Adelaide on June 30th Dr Schulz presented her case by analysing […]
What a surprising birthday gesture it was and so fitting for a French-Australian fellow. Son Tyson and his wife Vanessa came to our island home laden with produce to prepare a fabulous home-cooked feast (packed with love) to celebrate Olivier’s birthday. “Out of the kitchen you two, it’s now our domain,’’ says Tyson in his […]
He calls his wife, Turtle, recycles jokes told in shearing sheds 30 years ago and loves to berate himself as “the old fella’’. However, at 68 years of age, retired Yorke Peninsula farmer, Rod Gregory, has reinvented himself as a stand-up comic, who will perform in the finals of Australia’s Got Talent on Channel 7 […]
Ever wondered who is the talented florist creating the beautiful floral arrangements at the InterContinental Hotel, formerly the Hyatt Regency on North Terrace, Adelaide. Her name is Kerryn McLeod, floral design manager and she is busily arranging the hotel’s foyer masterpiece with her assistant Mandy Verity when I arrive for my French lesson this week. […]
The Cheese platter for Olivier’s birthday – presented with quince paste: Before we tuck into the top selection of cheeses listed below, John Herbig recalls how the Quast family, who lived in Punthari, between Cambrai and Mannum would make the simplest of cheeses – quark. “They would take a bucket of full-cream milk and put […]
It is one of those harrowing travellers’ tales which bolts one to an armchair instead of flying to explore exotic places. Mt Pleasant man, John Herbig and his wife Sandra, wanted one more overseas trip before he retired from his managerial job at the Barossa Valley Council – and it was to be China. “I […]
Philipa Charlesworth had been married too many times beforehand to ever be a Bridezilla when she married her fifth husband Bruce Pattullo on an idyllic beach in Tonga. “Because I have had many weddings I had an enlightening moment on the day of my wedding when I thought “This is wonderful…I have never married when […]
Much-travelled emerging artist, Suzanne Tilley selected a fitting venue for her first solo Art Exhibition within the SALA festival, which opened Friday, August 19. Suzy has travelled far and wide with her husband John over past years through Hoffmanns Travel, so naturally the Glenelg agency was happy to allow her exhibition space at their offices. […]
Food, glorious food is fundamental to the French people’s expression of family life and never was this expressed more warmly than when husband Olivier’s adult children and their partners visited bearing gifts of food. French-born Patricia brought her own home-made Les Recettes beef soup as well as a renowned French dessert – Clafouti, a baked […]
Surprises are such fun and doubly so when an outstanding event is planned and orchestrated by your children to show their love and to say “thankyou’’ for being good parents. Such was our joy when we dined on a superb five-course dinner with our children in their home and drank together the best Australian wine […]
Congratulations to the indominable Maria Kenda, AM, who gathered together an impressive group of renowned women to relaunch the Adelaide Ladies Lunch Club at the Naval, Military &Air Force Club of South Australia (Inc.) this week. Maria launched the club in the 1980s and due to the success of her jewellery design business, Kendacraft, it […]
They have elegant fluted blooms and are known for their vibrant yellow colour, although daffodils come in many shapes and shades of yellow and cream. I am thinking, though, of Daffodil Day and how it focuses our thoughts on cancer and our universal hope for a cure. Cancer is indeed the scourge of contemporary society […]
Packing boxes are scattered around our island home once more as we begin to pull up roots after living on Hindmarsh Island for a year. It has been such an exciting sojourn living the sea-change leisure lifestyle on the River Murray, so close to the laconic historic River Port of Goolwa. But like migratory birds […]
By Cathy Portas We are in Spain, walking through the Hall of Columns in the ancient Mezquita mosque in Cordoba, yet I cannot stop weeping quietly. No words are needed to explain my emotional reaction to being here within the magnificent unique Moorish architecture, dappled as it is in soft light. Etheral church music […]
He has those same copper-hued coat and magnetic eyes of myriad Aussie sheepdogs, however, there isn’t another quite as unique as KoKo, the wonder woofer star of Red Dog. Here he is with the film’s sound recordist, James Currie and his daughter Nikola on location at Globe Derby Park. KoKo, never camera shy, was […]